Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bring on the Snow!

     Well for starters, i am still waiting for my new VFFs to get here but they should be delivered tomorrow! I did manage to get a pair injinji socks though and i love them! They were a little awkward to put on at first but then i got used to them. I haven't had a chance to test them out in the snow yet due to the fact i am waiting for my new shoes, but i did wear them to school the other day with the pair i have and they were much warmer!
      I was pretty bummed on friday morning when i got ready to go to my snowboarding class and got an email from the instructor saying the roads were closed and class was cancelled. So what do I do? I head to the gym for a while and hit the weights pretty hard and then run 3 or so miles. Luckily David Dominguez and I were able to head up to Targhee on saturday morning and spent the day there. I am still learning how to board but i feel like i am doing much better. This is a video of me making one of the runs while david records.  Click Here It's not the greatest display of talent but i am enjoying it and that's all that matters!
     Well monday came around and after a decent day at school, i came home and crashed on the couch for  an hour or so. After i woke up, i ate an Access Bar and headed off to the gym to tackle the treadmill :/ You all know how I feel about treadmills... I decided that i was going to try to up my mileage last night and started running; at mile 3 i took a 30 second break to take some sips of iskiate, we'll get to that in a minute. I ended up only doing 4 miles total because people were in line waiting. After i finished up I finished off the rest of my iskiate and i felt great! I was amazed at how fast i recovered from my run. Later  on in the night i went back to the gym and hit another 2.25 miles and then lifted for a while. My feet feel great and i think i can pick my mileage up a little more, this is exciting!
     So as for this stuff called iskiate, it is another thing from the book Born To Run. It is a chia seed drink, yes i mean the same seeds that are used for chia pets! It's amazingly hydrating and really good for you too! It's really simple to makes as well. One 16oz serving: 2 fresh squeezed limes, 2 Tbs chia seeds, a squirt of honey to your liking, and fill the rest with cold water; let it soak in the fridge for at least an hour and drink chilled. One serving has 8 grams of mono and poly unsaturated fats, lots of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, 10 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein. It sounds odd, i know, but it really tastes like limeade!
     So this is where i am at now and i hope to try and hit up a 5 mile run tonight after I finish up my classes for the day. I am also going to try and get more frequent so my posts don't have to be so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment